A Day in the Life at BigCommerce – Enterprise Account Manager
Enterprise Account Manager: Neely Cox
Welcome back to our ‘A Day in the Life at BigCommerce’ blog series. Done in the spirit of open dialogue and collaboration, this is an opportunity for merchants, partners, and other members of the industry to become familiar with the ‘ins and outs’ of some positions over at BigCommerce.
Our belief at DigitlHaus is that it’s important to highlight talented employees that aren’t afraid to get work done and make a difference in the eCommerce community. We consider their insight valuable—but only if they mention we’re BigCommerce’s favorite partner agency (had to throw in at least one joke).
This next interview is with Enterprise Account Manager, Neely Cox, who is helping merchants and BigCommerce alike succeed and grow with essential strategies. Take a look for yourself below.
1. What is a BigCommerce Enterprise Account Manager?
Trusted Advisor and Strategic guide who will partner with clients to understand their business strategies and recommend effective and efficient solutions to help drive success. An Enterprise Account Manager is an internal advocate and primary point of contact for the merchant. An Account Manager also communicates BigCommerce’s best practices and recommendations and communicates product enhancements to the client. The primary goal of the BC Account Manager is the merchant’s success and growth on the platform.
2. What is your involvement with BigCommerce partners?
We are involved in projects at play with merchants/partners, ensuring alignment on strategies and goals for merchants.
3. How do you assist them in a sale?
EAMs have good insights on their clients’ initiatives and requirements, and can provide insightful details on what the merchant is looking for in a partner. While the merchant drives the decision behind partner selection, we can certainly assist the merchant to pursue a project with a certain partner(s).
4. What is your involvement with Prospects and Clients?
Not much. EAM is actively engaged with the client post-launch. Since the role is more strategic in nature, we are often brought in as we get closer to the go-live date. That said, I am sometimes pulled into Sales conversations to expand upon my role as an EAM for potential enterprise merchants who are looking to come to the BigCommerce platform.
5. What is the best part of your job, the part that makes you come back to the office the next day?
The most fulfilling part of my job is building trusting relationships and making a difference in merchant’s online businesses every day. My primary goal is their success on our platform, and I love being involved in projects and partnering with agencies and partners to align with merchant’s goals and KPIs.
6. What other BigCommerce teams do you work closely with and how?
I work closely with our Product and Engineering teams, Technical Support teams as well as Marketing and Sales Teams. Our team really interacts with most teams throughout the business considering we are internal advocates for our clients and are looking for resources that will assist them to be successful on the platform.
7. What questions do you get asked the most from BigCommerce customers?
- Roadmap: Priorities, Enhancements, Timelines
- App recommendation for out of box functionality
- Industry Best Practices
- Questions around Ecosystems: POS, ERPs, etc.
- Updates on open issues/JIRA tickets.
8. How often do you check-ins with BigCommerce customers and what do they check-ins consist of?
My preference is to have cadence calls set up with clients based on their preferences and entitlements (weekly, biweekly or monthly). We also communicate heavily through email on other issues as well.
9. If a BigCommerce customer is having issues with their platform, could they contact you or is there another resource they would need to get in touch with?
Merchant will contact me and I pull in the necessary resources internally: Technical Account Manager (if the merchant has purchased this service), Product, PSE Support, Solutions Architect. They will also reach out to Tech Support via call/chat based on the nature of the issue.
10. A client has already purchased BigCommerce and is getting ready for launch, what is your involvement and how do you ensure all pieces are moving in synch for a perfect deployment?
After an Enterprise merchant signs with BigCommerce, they are assigned an Implementation Project Manager. The EAM’s involvement is minimal during the pre-launch phase. We will check in with merchants to see how things are going with onboarding, post-launch priorities, and answer any account/contract specific questions. The Account Manager will start engaging actively closer to the launch date, to ensure a smooth transition from the Implementation Project Manager once the site is live on BigCommerce. Post-launch, the Account Manager is the primary resource on the account and will set up a cadence with the merchant for ongoing projects, understand their goals and KPIs and provide strategic consulting and recommendations for a seamless operations and growth on the platform.
11. After a BigCommerce deployment, what are the top 3 common issues or problems that Clients are running into, how do you solve them?
I feel this question is more aimed at IPMs, but I would assume SEO, integration issues and syncing. Again, this would probably be more of a question directed for an IPM.
12. What has been the most rewarding part of your job thus far?
The most rewarding part of my job is being a part of the journey for helping to facilitate merchants’ success on the platform. I love building relationships with merchants, getting to know and understand their business needs, and feeling like I am a part of their team. I want merchants to know they can trust me, even when things are going wrong. The most rewarding part of my job is building relationships and knowing that I can help make a difference in merchants’ online businesses.
13. If you could pick 5 items from the Account management perspective that you see clients on BigCommerce should focus on to be successful, what would they be?
Thank you to Neely Cox for taking the time to answer these questions for our readers. Agency partners, like us at DigitlHaus, depend on your work as Enterprise Account Manager over at BigCommerce to make sure that everything goes smoothly for our merchants. This is to ensure they have the best strategies in place to make their businesses thrive in the market.
Check back for the next ‘Day in the Life at BigCommerce’ blog interview, coming soon!