A Day in the Life at BigCommerce – Tech Support Ninja
Hey readers! Thanks for coming back for another ‘Day in the Life at BigCommerce’ blog post! We hope these Q&A’s are not only informative, but are a fun little insight into how certain individuals get work done in different areas of BigCommerce. Our ultimate goal is for them to be read and enjoyed by clients, partners, and BigCommerce employees—hopefully not just the ones that we interviewed, but that remains to be found out.
In our last interview, we asked questions to a Tech Support Ninja. Now, we’re turning those same questions over to a different Tech Support Ninja, Jason Hendrix. See what he had to say below.
1. What is a Tech Support Ninja?
The Ninja is after one thing, Information! Being able to scale and conquer the BigCommerce platform with a sleek grace while obtaining answers to tricky questions to make it seem like a supernatural phenomenon. Slicing the depths of DNS to layers of SSL, we care, repair and give advice that permeates across the world wide web. We offer amazing technical support while exercising critical thinking and unparalleled soft skills.
2. Do you work with BigCommerce partners, if so how?
Absolutely. We work directly with partners to help troubleshoot any platform issues as well as any updates needed that my affect a theme or an app.
3. If I am a client and my color swatches are not assigning to my products, what would be the fastest way I could get this issue resolved?
The fastest way is to make sure the option set is applied to that particular product. You’ll want to find your product, click edit to the right and choose Options and SKUs- from here you will want to make sure the option set created for swatches is selected- if it is not you will want to assign, if it is assigned and the swatches are not functioning then you will do the following. When you’re logged in the BigCommerce Control panel navigate to Products > Product Options- when you’ve made it this far you’ll want to select “Option Sets.” When you find your option set name in the list click the action button which is three little dots (…)to the right of the option set- once you click action, you’ll want to select “Edit.” Once you’ve made it this far, you’ll want to click “Edit” again next to the “Options in the Set.” From there you will want to make sure the colors are checked. If the colors are not checked, you’ll want to check the ones you want to include- after you’ve selected those colors and saved, navigate back to the product- edit that product by clicking action. Choose Options and SKU’s and then assign that option set that you’ve edited to that product.
4. What is the best part of your job, the part that makes you come back to the office the next day?
The atmosphere. I work with an incredible group of individuals who are committed to success. Passionate, hardworking and determined are just a few of the words that I would use to describe my co-workers.
5. What other BigCommerce teams do you work closely with and how?
We work most closely with our Tier 2 team and PSE teams. The senior support staff here at BigCommerce are our direct resources and offer a plethora of information when it comes to advanced platform issues.
6. What are the top 5 most ridiculous questions you get asked?
- Are the sample products on my trial store for us to sell and how do I ship them?
- If I add a file upload feature on a product, will people be able to see the inside of my computer when they click “Browse”?
- Can you see my screen?
- What is a browser?
- Can I speak to the CEO? I need to let him know how I feel.
7. What are the top 5 most common questions you get asked?
- Where are you located?
- I’ve changed my DNS and now my website doesn’t work, can you help?
- Why do I have to change my password every 90 days?
- Why can’t I access my store?
- How do I change my theme?
8. What is the most rewarding part of your job?
The part that gives me the most joy is being able to solve a problem to completion. When a merchant calls in with an issue that is wholly frustrated them, and it seems as though there is no light at the end of the tunnel- when you’re able to change the course of someone’s day; I thrive on that feeling and energy.
9. What is the longest time a Ninja has ever spent on the phone with a client?
10. What types of support do you offer? And is it really offered 24/7 and Holidays?
We only offer one type of support and that’s amazing support. If you have an issue that we can help solve, we will try our best or at least point you in the right direction. We’re your go to solution for E-Commerce but we understand the value of helping you with everyday needs – Email, DNS, Image sizes and even trivial things such as your timezone settings on your PC.
11. What advice do you have to BigCommerce users that have never used the platform but want a general understanding on how to manage their store, products and setup?
Have you ever taken a car for a test ride? That overwhelming joy and excitement of a brand new car. You decide to purchase it and you get home and all you want to do is change the time on the clock radio but you just can’t seem to figure out how? You’ve double pressed buttons and pressed in the volume and set and reset channels but no dice. You’re beyond frustrated and you actually feel like doing something so simple should be so much easier. You’re ready to give up but you decide to reach out for support. Within minutes of calling BigCommerce Technical Support we’ve walked you through solving your problem as well as given you a plethora of information on how to do everything else you had questions about. The best advice I can give is, if there’s something that seems impossible we’re just a call or chat away, we’re willing to assist 24/7 with all platform problems and with changing clock radios 😉
And there you have it! Thanks a lot, Jason for your additional insight into the role of Tech Support Ninja over at BigCommerce. A good thing that might come of this is interview being read by our clients is that now you might not get as many of those ridiculous questions you mentioned (haha).
Check back with us soon at DigitlHaus for the next post in our interview blog series with BigCommerce. Don’t miss it!
TECH SUPPORT NINJA: Jason Hendrix